Sunday, April 15, 2018

Childhood memories of the big modern city

My godfather and godmother, who are also my uncle and aunt, live in Taipei. As a child, they were the 'modern' relatives from the far far away big city. In fact, Taipei is only 4 hours drive from my home town, Tainan. It only takes 1.5 hours on the High Speed Rail nowadays.

When James came to visit me last week, we decided to spend some time in Taipei like backpackers. He had only been there once more than 10 years ago and I hadn't visited it for more than 20 years! It was also a good chance for James to meet my godparents and cousins.

On the evening of our visit, my godfather told James about the mountains and rivers in and around Taipei. He took us to Shin Shan Moon Lake near his house. It was a spot where my cousins took me to see fireflies in summer. The lake, which is more like a pond in comparison to real lakes, hasn't changed much. It was fun showing James my childhood memories on location.

No comments:

Post a Comment