Sunday, December 02, 2018

People on the MRT

 I started a new job a couple of weeks ago here in Taipei. It's been a long while since I commuted to work. Last time I took a train to work was back in 2014- the year I found Urban sketchers. I remember taking a pocket-sized Moleskine watercolour sketchbook and a fine felt pen with me (I hadn't started using fountain pens then). Now I use a cheap notepad made with recycled paper and a black crayon to sketch people on my way to work.

I learnt about this Korean black crayon from a fellow USK Taipei sketcher. He breaks the crayon into smaller pieces so he could use the tip as well as the side to create various texture.
 With cheap materials, I don't worry about making errors or people getting off before I finish a sketch. I just turn the page over and draw another person. People watching and sketching definitely makes my way to work and back much more enjoyable.




2 comments:

  1. These are all very fresh and in-the-moment (which is how people-sketching usually is, I suppose)! Congrats on your new job! I hope you are enjoying it.

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. It's been fun sketching people on the way to work. The job...challenging but interesting.

      Delete