Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Little White House- a community shed

I set myself on a mission of investigating what is in the neighbourhood after we moved to Taipei. Every time when I am out running errands, I take a lane or alley that I haven't explored as long as it takes me to my destination. A couple of weeks ago I came across a small workshop-looking place full of woodworking tools. The people there on the day told me that the place is called The Little White House. It's a community shed, where local residents go and hang out while working on projects such as soap making with recycled oil, glass cutting and woodworking.
Sep 30, 2018 James doing woodwork at the community shed

All the tools and materials at the shed are donated by locals and everything is accessible to the public. A volunteer or teacher will be there for the project/workshop of the session and he or she will assess if the user is demonstrating knowledge of care and safety. 

I thought the idea is great and very similar to the Men's Shed in Melbourne, except the Men's Shed is really just for men. Living in an apartment means James can't set up a proper woodworking bench or using big cutting machines. At the Little White House he can have access to many tools and a space to work on his project. He definitely had a ball at the Little White House today while making a wooden tablet stand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment